The Senate consists of 28 elected senators from the student body (typically 7 from each graduating class), 6 community representatives, and 3 trustee representatives.
The main responsibilities of the Senate include:
- Writing and passing resolutions
- Resolutions serve as strong lobbying tools that express to the administration the needs and wants of the student body. It speaks as a collective voice for the student body, and is extremely helpful in shaping systematic changes at Tufts.
- Allocating and approving budgets and supplementary funding requests for all TCU-recognized student organizations
- With its own operating budget, the TCU Senate allocates and approves funding for over 200 student organizations on campus to operate and pursue many of the activities you experience on campus.
- Initiating and pursuing projects to better student life. Projects are pursued by committee groups, which include areas such as:
- Administration & Policy
- Student Outreach
- Interacting with the Tufts University Board of Trustees through the role of the Trustee Representatives
- Three members of the TCU Senate are appointed members to serve as representatives to the Tufts University Board of Trustees. These Trustee Representatives are tasked with representing the undergraduate voice to the Trustees and are responsible for developing a project to collaborate with the Trustees on. After an application and interview process, these appointed members are responsible for synthesizing the views of the student body and advocating to the Trustees on behalf of students.
- Actively communicating with the Tufts student body and represent their needs and interests
- Tufts students are encouraged to reach out to their TCU Senate members and express any ideas or concerns they may have about student life on campus. Community representatives are elected by their respective cultural communities to listen to and represent the specific concerns and understandings of their communities.
Find the TCUTCU Main Offices
Senate and Treasury (Room 215)
ECOM and Judiciary (Room 205)
Mayer Campus Center
44 Professors Row
Medford, MA 02155
Senate Meeting Location
Sophia Gordon Hall
15 Talbot Avenue
Medford, MA 02155
TCU Offices Map
Contact UsMedia Inquiries